Sure, you come to Yosemite and Mariposa because of the nature and outdoors, but especially during your first visit you should take some time to visit the many museums and walk around the visitor centers. In Yosemite, there are several interesting museums to enjoy. Most visitors stop at the Yosemite Museum to learn about Yosemite’s American Indian cultures, including incredible handwoven baskets. Wawona is home to the Pioneer Yosemite History Center where an authentic stagecoach can whisk you back in time to a pioneer village complete with living history volunteers in replica costume.
In Mariposa, you can get a glimpse of pioneer and gold rush history at the Mariposa Museum & History Center. See the famous Fricot “Nugget”, a 13.8 pounds rare and beautiful specimen of crystallized gold at the California State Mining & Mineral Museum located just minutes outside the town of Mariposa.
- Yosemite Climbing Association Museum & GalleryStop by the new Yosemite Climbing Association Gallery and Museum to be regaled with stories of boldness and bravery high up on Yosemite’s famous cliffs. Explore climbing gear from the […]Read More
- Mariposa Museum & History CenterThe Mariposa Museum & History Center is an award-winning small museum. The museum’s collection presents an authentic picture of people and life in Mariposa, concentrating on the Gold Rush and […]Read More
- Yosemite MuseumThe Yosemite Museum was completed in 1925, designed by architect Herbert Maier in the newly emerging National Park Service rustic style. Though few realize it, the Yosemite Museum was the […]Read More
- Yosemite History Center(Formerly the Pioneer History Center) When you step into the Yosemite History Center in Wawona, you walk through a slice of time when horse-drawn wagons clattered across a covered wooden […]Read More
- California State Mining & Mineral MuseumGet a fascinating glimpse of California’s mineral wealth, colorful mining history, and geologic diversity, at the California State Mining & Mineral Museum. This museum represents California’s official collection, containing over […]Read More
- Northern Mariposa County History CenterThe Northern Mariposa County History Center shows various displays and photos that provide an authentic glimpse of the life and times of the pioneers who helped settle the area […]Read More
- Happy Isles Nature CenterDuring the summer, the Nature Center at Happy Isles offers exhibits and books. Learn about nature, fauna and the eco system of Yosemite National Park. Happy Isles Nature Center is […]Read More